Creator Affiliation Eligibility Requirements
To register with Access Copyright, you must:
- Be a writer, editor, translator or visual artist;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and not reside in Quebec;
- Have at least one of your works published in print format such as in a book, magazine, newspaper or scholarly journal;
- Have at least one work to which you own reproduction rights; and
- Not be already affiliated with any other reproduction rights agency (such as COPIBEC in Quebec).
Visual artists wishing to register with Access Copryight also need to:
- Be a photographer, cartoonist, sculptor, fine artist/painter, multimedia artist, illustrator, craftsperson, architect or clothing designer who has produced his/her clothing in a quantity of less than 50, and
- Have at least one of your works published in print format such as in a book, magazine, newspaper or scholarly journal, where you own the copyright.
All applicants who fill out the online Creator Registration Form will be requested to submit two (2) pieces of acceptable identification and their Social Insurance Number (SIN) before their application may be processed.
Access Copyright is unable to offer affiliation to creators under certain circumstances. These include if the only works you own are:
- Masters or doctoral theses unless they have been reprinted in commercial publications;
- Born in digital format (Works appearing only online or in a non-print format). This can include blogs, websites, ebooks and other similar works;
- Done as an employee or under a contractual arrangement where you have waived or assigned all rights to the work. This includes any work created while you were an employee of a publishing organization, unless there is a specific agreement between you and your publisher that you own the copyright to those works;
- Dedicated to the public domain or is otherwise not covered by copyright; or